Master Of Professional Accounting
The accounting sector in Singapore is undergoing a major transformation to realise its aim of becoming a leading global accountancy hub for Asia Pacific by 2020(Final Report of the Committee to Develop the Accounting Sector, April 2010). To achieve this vision, one of the major initiatives being implemented is the creation of new pathways to facilitate entry of degree holders from non-accountancy disciplines.
Introduced in 2006, the SMU MPA has been providing this pathway to new exciting career opportunities in the accountancy sector, both in professional services and corporate accounting. It has received regulatory, academic and professional accreditations from Singapore Accountancy Commission (SAC), Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Singapore (ICPAS), Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA), CPA Australia, Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (ICAA), Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and AACSB International (AACSB). These recognitions offer an accelerated pathway for MPA graduates to satisfy the membership requirements of these global professional bodies, and to qualify for the CPA or chartered accountant status. Such recognition gives SMU MPA graduates international mobility and a strong competitive edge over other graduates.
The newly revised MPA curriculum provides candidates with strong business fundamentals, technical skills for various accounting functions and professional accounting services. The programme can be completed in one year on a full-time basis, or over two years on a part-time basis.
Leveraging the unique SMU pedagogy, faculty and state-of-the-art city campus, the SMU MPA's professional recognition equips you with the necessary and relevant skill sets for today's competitive global business world.
The application criteria for the MPA programme are as follows:
- Applicants must demonstrate good prior academic performance in an undergraduate degree from a recognised institution of higher learning.
- Applicants must have sufficient background in Mathematics/Calculus.
- GMAT is compulsory for all applicants. More information about GMAT is available at the GMAT website. Candidates should take the GMAT as soon as possible. The results should be sent directly from Educational Testing Service (ETS) to SMU (code for SMU MPA: F8D-3B-56). If the official GMAT scores are not ready yet, candidates may submit their MPA application using the unofficial scores and submit the official results later. Click here for FAQs about GMAT.
- Applicants with post-undergraduate working experience will have an added advantage.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview by members of the MPA Admission Panel. For international students, telephone interviews will be conducted if they are not in Singapore.
- Applicants must show proficiency in the English language. A TOEFL or IELTS test is required if the applicant's undergraduate degree was not conducted in English.
The SMU MPA is designed to be industry and profession centric. We achieve this by designing and building our programme upon three curriculum pillars required by the industry, profession and employers.
Fundamentals provide knowledge that is essential for today’s managers and senior executives to understand the big picture of complex businesses:
- Economics & Statistics
- Financial Management
- Management & Strategy
Aspiring accountants, general managers, and business leaders who require a strong knowledge of the accounting functions, the Accounting Core provides this coverage via these six subjects:
- Financial Accounting
- Management Accounting
- Corporate Reporting & Financial Analysis
- Accounting Information Systems
- Advanced Financial Accounting
- Legal Environment of Business
The Professional Services pillar gives aspiring accountants and business leaders a competitive advantage by exposing them to the important professional functions. These 3 segments are embraced under the overarching umbrella of governance and risk management:
- Audit & Assurance
- Corporate Advisory
The SMU Postgraduate Professional Development courses will bring together postgraduate students’ from all SMU Masters programmes in a series of seminars designed to help you develop your network, horizons and skills in key professional areas that are vital to your success.
The fees (inclusive of GST) for the programme are:
* Tuition fees are locked in once the student enters the programme. The Singapore Management University reserves the right to alter tuition fees for new incoming cohorts when required.
SMU MPA SCHOLARSHIP
The Scholarship is available to applicants of SMU Master of Professional Accounting Programme, studying either full-time or part-time, for both May and August intake. Interested applicants should indicate their interest to be considered for scholarships in the submission of the online application. The award shall fund up to 4 scholarships each worth $5,000 SGD. To be eligible for this Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Citizens of ASEAN countries (including Singaporeans & PR)
- Outstanding academic background
- Outstanding performance in the MPA programme
Terms & Conditions
- The Scholarships, valued at $5,000 SGD each, will be used to offset tuition fee
- No bond is required under the terms of this Scholarship
CIMB Bank Loan: Low Interest Rate of 3.36% p.a. For more information, please call 6333 7777 or visit www.cimbbank.com.sg
DID: (65) 6661 2157
POSB Further Study Assistance: Interest rate of 4.60% p.a. For more information, please call 6333 0033 or visit http://www.posb.com.sg/personal/loans/studyassist/promotions/default.page
Maybank Education Loan: The application must be with a joint applicant who is a Singaporean or Singapore PR. More details are available at http://info.maybank2u.com.sg/personal/loans/personal-credit/education-loan.aspx.
Mr Javier Chan
Personal Finance Executive
DID: (65) 6338 6543
RHB EDU Loan: For more information please call 1 800 323 0100 or visit http://www.rhbbank.com.sg/personal/loans/education_loan.html.
DID: (65) 8139 9820
Singapore Management University
60 Stamford Road
Tel: (65) 6828 0606
Fax: (65) 6828 0600